Azure: App - 1
Azure App Service
Azure App Service is an HTTP-based service for hosting web applications, REST APIs, and mobile back ends. You can develop in your favorite language, be it .NET, .NET Core, Java, Ruby, Node.js, PHP, or Python. Applications run and scale with ease on both Windows and Linux-based environments.
Built-in auto scale support
Continuous integration/deployment support
- App Service on Linux is not supported on Shared pricing tier.
- You can’t mix Windows and Linux apps in the same App Service plan.
- The Azure portal shows only features that currently work for Linux apps.
Create a Web App
Create a web app via docker container
- Set defaout subscriptoin
az account set --subscription XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
- Crate a resource group
az group create --name my-ResourceGroup --location <your-region>
- Create a service plan
By default, the command below uses an inexpensive B1 pricing tier that is free for the first month. You can control the tier with the –sku parameter.
az appservice plan create --name myAppServicePlan \ --resource-group myResourceGroup --is-linux
az webapp create --resource-group myAppServicePlan \ --plan myAppServicePlan --name myApp \ --deployment-container-image-name XXXXX/my-web-app:latest
Add Lets Encrypt SSL for custom domain or sub-domain
The approach below is only for experiment. It is not scalable for commercial purpose.
- Add customized sub-domain to your DNS
sub-domain.domain.com. 1800 IN A 220.127.116.11
- Generate the SSL cert via Certbot. Following example is done on a linux machine, which IP is
sudo certbot --nginx -d sub-domain.domain.com
- Generate the pfx file from pem file
Remember the password of the SSL cert
cd sudo openssl pkcs12 -inkey /etc/letsencrypt/live/sub-domain.domain.com/privkey.pem -in /etc/letsencrypt/live/sub-domain.domain.com/fullchain.pem -in -export -out sub-domain.domain.com.pfx Enter Export Password: Verifying - Enter Export Password:
- Download the certificate file
scp -i ~/.ssh/XXX_rsa email@example.com:/sub-domain.domain.com.pfx ~/
Follow the Azure App Service instruction to add customized domain
- Navigate to
Custom Domainpage: App Service > Settings > custom domains
- Remove the previous A Record of this sub-domain from your DNS
- Add following records in your DNS
sub-domain.domain.com. 1800 IN CNAME sub-domain.azurewebsites.net. asuid.sub-domain.domain.com. 1800 IN TXT XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
- Validate the custom domain
- Add the custom domain
- Navigate to
Add the SSL to custom domain
- Under the SSL session there is alarm sign which shows the domain has no SSL certiificate
- Upload the pfx certificate file generated from previous step
- Enter the password of the certificate
- Select default option for
Private Certificate Thumbprint(Only one option available)
SNI SSLfor TSL Type (Only one option available)
Check the SSL with SSL online checker