CentOS 6/7 Multi-Boot Setup
Bootable usb preparation
Download dvd iso from url or torrent Use Win32 Image Writer to create usb. ( Bootice is useful tool to reformat the USB as origin )
Install CentOS on virtual machine
Before you install, you are better to backup anything on the device which you are going to install, and chcek your internet is working properly.
CentOS provide a friendly and nice installation process. If you choose VMWare or VirtulBox as machine, you can open installation steps on your browser or use ipad /tablet to access this page. You just need to follow the instruction step by step, it will be done within an hour or more(it varies in computing power of PC).
Prepare VM for CentOS
Create a new virtual machine.
- Type in the name of vm. e.g. CentOS
- Select the type of Linux
- You can choose RedHat(32⁄64 bit ) or something else. It doesn’t matter. We don’t use any built-in xxx.iso files from VirtualBox. Then click
- Select the memory size for the CentOS. It is up to you. I prefer 4GB, but 2GB is necessary. And then click
- Select “Create a virtual hard drive now”, and then click
- Select defaut VDI, then click
Select “Dynamically allocated”, then click
- Choose the location of CentOS. e.g. c:\vbox\centos\centos.vdi. Select the size of VDI file. At least 10G. I’d like to select 20 or more. Then a virtual machine of CentOS is created.
- Choose the location of CentOS. e.g. c:\vm\centos\centos.vmdk. Select the size of VMDK file. At least 10G. I’d like to select 20 or more. Then a virtual machine of CentOS is created.
Config the CentOS hardware setting on VirtulBox or VMWare.
- On VirtualBox toolbar, there is a
Start, then go the Storage item.
- Under the Storage Tree section, there is Empty CD icon. Click the Empty icon.
- Under the Attributes section, click the CD icon at the end of the dropdown list of CD/DVD Drive. Choose the Unbuntu iso file which you download from Unbuntu.org. Click
- Leave all the other setting as default. Click the
Startbutton on the toolbar.
- On VMware, you can find CD/DVD button on the tab page of new virtual machine.
- Click the CD button at the end of the dropdown list of CD/DVD Drive. Choose the Unbuntu iso file which you download from Unbuntu.org. Click
- Leave all the other setting as default. Click the
Power on this virtual machineoption on the tab page.
Config CentOS default setting
After the CentOS starts, we can config the default setting of CentOS. Don’t be panic, the configuration envrionment is very nice. You don’t need to type any command line so far.
Prepare the installation.
- Choose the language of CentOS. Then click Continue.
- On the Installation Summary screen, there is warning icon attached to the hard drive icon, which is under SYSTEM section with a lable “INSTALLATION DESTINATION”. Click that label.
- You will see the partition is already done automatically. I’d like you to leave it as until you are familar with the CentOS. Then click Done button on the header.
- Leave the SOFTWARE SELECTION as Minimal Install; NETWORK & HOSTNAME as Not connected. Then click Begin Installation button.
- Setup password of root account. Please remember the password. If you forget it you need to reset the root’s password. To do that you need to do a few things which depends on the CentOS version. As a beginner, please don’t make it too complicated.
- Create your account. e.g. harryporter Mark your account as administrator to save some effort. Please remember your password and don’t make it too complicated.’
- The progress of installation is complete. Click Finish configuration button. w$w4 d. After a few seconds, you will the Reboot button. Then click it.
Manage CentOS packages and software
- there are two management tools rpm and yum. To make it easy, we just talk about yum. It is a very handy tool. Comparing with the windows built-in program management tool, it is much powerful than that. It provides necessary functions for admin. If you need to maintain the Linux server, then you will use it in your daily task.
man yumto take a look the description of yum. You do not need to understand all usage of yum. Just have an overview is enough.
There are a few useful and common yum commands.
yum list installed | less yum search <pacakge_name> yum grouplist
Install CentOS on PC or laptop
Setup network ( via cable )
If you install a minimal version without network configuration, you will find you can not ping public domain. Here I am going to show you how to setup the connection.
- You can use
ip acommand to check the status of all network interface.
You will see all the state of interfaces would be DOWN OR UNKNOWN.
## lo **** qdisc pfifo_fast noqueue UNKNOWN ## eth0 **** qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN
## ifup eth0to start the ech0 then you can access internet. It is a bit tedious to start the network service every time we reboot the system. Next step we will setup network service to start automatically after the system is up.
There is a configuration file which can help you setup internet connection after the startup. Ususally the configuration is under this path
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and file name would
ifcfg-eth<*>. So we check the real file name at first.
ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* ## Following are sample of files which will sit in your system. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
Now we need to update this file via nano or vi. If you have no any experience of vi, I recommended an interactive online tutorial for you. Just 20 mins, you can master basic vi usage. http://www.openvim.com/tutorial.html
We use vi to open the config file.
## vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
You will a setting below. ONBOOT=no
You just need to update it to ONBOOT=yes, then save it and reboot CentOS to test the result.
After you reboot and login CentOS, you can use ping to test if your system can access internet, then configuration is updated successful.
- Setup Wifi during the installation. After the installation, you will find the Wifi is not available on Cent OS
- Mount the DVD or iso file
use yum to install the NetworkManager-wifi package
yum --disablerepo=\* install /path/to/dvd/Packages/NetworkManager-wifi*
Multiple boot system ( Fedora, CentOS, Redhat )
Partition setup for multiple OS installation
Fedora, CentOS and Redhat share the almost the same installation process. Click on the
Installation Destinationicon to change this to custom partitioning Under the Other Storage Options, choose I will configure partitioning then click Done Following is sample of partition setup of multiple boot system.
sda +----sda1 nfts 500M Windows recovery +----sda2 efi /boot 100M grub2 , Windows boot manager +----sda3 / 10M +----sda4 ntfs / 40000M Window 7/8/10 +----sda5 swap <Double size of your RAM size> +----sda6 ext4 / 20000M Ubuntu 14 desktop +----sda7 ext4 / 20000M Fedora 20 desktop +----sda8 ext4 / 20000M CentOS 6 desktop +----sda9 ext4 / 20000M OpenSuse desktop + ...
ifconfig not found in CentOS minimal server
ip addr ip -s link
Enable Network (Non-wifi) onboot after minimal installation
If you cannot ping any domain, use
dhclient -v to check if the internet is available.
Setup the network enabled onboot
## cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ## sed -i -e 's@^ONBOOT="no@ONBOOT="yes@' ifcfg-e.xx.xxx
Boot CentOS in terminal
## cat /etc/inittab ## systemctl get-default graphic.target ## systemctl set-default multi-user.target
Fedora boot error
- Please check the grub.cfg if you get booting error
You can try following command to boot Fedora from Grub menu
linux /boot/vmluz-x.x.x-x.x.x initrd /boot/intrd-plymouth.img